INFO · Search
· Chinese version · Subscribe

The Young Reporter

Business

Pop Mart shares extend rally as revenue more than doubled in 2024, driven by IP operation and globalisation strategy

  • The Young Reporter
  • By: Yichun Fang、CAO JiawenEdited by: WANG Ruoshui、XIA Fan、BO Chuxuan
  • 2025-03-27

Pop Mart’s annual revenue more than doubled and surpassed 13 billion yuan thanks to its IP development and globalisation strategy, according to its 2024 annual results published on Wednesday.  Under code 9992, shares of the Beijing-based company climbed more than 9% to HK$ 153.7 today, following yesterday’s 10% gain. During yesterday’s midday announcement, the company reported a 106.9% increase in revenue and a 203.9% yoy surge in net profit to 3.3 billion yuan for the previous fiscal year.  “Market acceptance of Pop Mart’s IPs, such as CRYBABY and THE MONSTERS, which contain a flagship product Labubu, is still very high, and unless something unexpected happens, the growth prospects for Pop Mart this year are very positive,” added Kenney Wen, head of Investment Strategy at KGI Asia. The revenue of THE MONSTERS, one of the heated IPs of  Pop Mart, saw a revenue of 3.04 billion yuan, a 726.6% surge compared to last year, contributing 23.3% of the overall revenue. CRYBABY, as one of their “fast-growing emerging IPs”, also reached a revenue of 1.16 billion yuan, with a year-on-year growth rate of 1,537.2%. “Buying dolls of these IPs has become a trend-setter,” Wen said. The group’s sales are expected to grow by more than 50% year-on-year in 2025, according to Wang Ning, chairman of the board of directors of Pop Mart, who spoke at yesterday’s Annual Results Announcement. He expected the total sales to reach more than 20 billion yuan in 2025, with the overseas market accounting for more than 10 billion yuan of this total. In 2024, for the market other than Mainland China, the revenue from Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and Overseas increased by 375.2% from 1,066.1 million yuan in 2023 to 5,065.7 million yuan.  Wang added that the company expects the North American market alone in 2025 to …

Business

Golden Horse Best Actress playing deaf girl brings attention to vulnerable group films

Chung Suet-ying, winner of the Golden Horse Film Best Leading Actress, called for more attention to be allocated to locally independent films while thanking fans supporting the film The Way We Talk at the special screening of Hong Kong Baptist University Communication School, her alma mater. The movie explores the choice of hearing-impaired people between using cochlear implants(electronic devices to improve hearing) or simply using sign language. Sophie Fong, played by Chung Suet-ying, was such a girl getting confused between the two advocacies and later decided to follow inner voices for living her own life. As of March 3, the movie achieved a box office of HK$ 5.35 million, ranking the fourth among all movies that have been released locally within the month. Also, nearly 60% of the audience on the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gave the movie a score above or at eight out of ten.  As for awards winning, besides Chung locking in the "Best Leading Actress" at the Golden Horse Film Awards, the movie also secured the Audience Choice Award and the Hong Kong Film Critics Society Recommended Movies Award.  "Some worried a movie about  ‘deaf people’ will not be popular, but I have confidence in the Hong Kong audience, which was proved by the award we got," said Adam Wong Sau-ping, the director on his Facebook page after winning the "Audience Choice Award" at the Hong Kong Asian Film Festival. “It is a discussion of identity politics,”said the Hong Kong Film Critics Society. “Adam Wong Sau-ping three-dimensionally presents the intersecting situation of deaf people and hearing people, and the diverse faces of their life circle,” the society added.    Despite the positive reception of Wong’s film, local productions face challenges in Hong Kong’s competitive market. Only three of the top ten box office movies released in 2025 …

Business

Budget 2025: Hong Kong to issue third tranche of tokenised bonds and boost digital bonds market

  • By: Haoming Zhou、WANG RuoshuiEdited by: BO Chuxuan
  • 2025-02-26

Hong Kong will continue to encourage the issuance of digital bonds through the Digital Bond Grant Scheme and prepare the third tranche of tokenised bond issuance, said Paul Chan, the financial secretary, at his 2025 Budget Speech on Wednesday. The government will explore measures to enhance the wider adoption of bond tokenisation and tokenising traditional bonds, said Chan.   “Any movement conducive to the promotion of digital bonds is a good thing,” said Simon Lee, a member of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong, “there has to be enough diversified products to activate the market, so that Hong Kong's position in the financial market can be consolidated.”   HKMA has issued two batches of tokenised green bonds, HK$ 800 million in February of 2023 and around HK$ 6 billion in February of 2024, enabling tokenisation to move beyond the proof-of-concept stage to the practical application level.   Tokenised bonds, issued and traded with blockchain technology, are a type of digital bond, which globally has reached an  issuance value of US$3.9 billion (HK$ 30 billion) by the end of March 2023, according to the Hong Kong Monetary Authority.   To encourage more institutions to participate in the issuance of digital bonds, the Digital Bond Grant Scheme (DBGS), a three-years grant scheme of up to HK$2.5 million to cover the eligible digital bond issuance costs, was announced in November last year, after first introduced on Oct. 16, 2024, in the 2024 Policy Address.   The echo comes in quick succession as Singapore launched Global-Asia Digital Bond Grant Scheme (G-ADBGS), a five-year digital-bonds-supporting scheme, to promote the issuance of digital bonds in January 2025.   “I would consider tokenised bonds as a very good way to invest,” said Chen Shiyi, a virtual asset investor from mainland China who works at Pleasanton Ventures Limited, …

Business

Hong Kong officials' pay freeze as government addresses fiscal deficit

  • By: ZHAO Runtong、Yichun FangEdited by: XIA Fan
  • 2025-02-26

The Hong Kong government plans to freeze salaries of all executive, legislative, judicial and district council staff in fiscal year 2025-26, said Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po in the budget speech today. “This(salary freeze) includes the chief executive and politically appointed officials; the non-official members of the executive council; members of the civil service; the president, all members, and secretariat of the Legislative Council; chief justice of the Court of Final Appeal, judges of the courts at all levels; and other members of the judiciary; and members of the District Councils,” said Chan.  The Financial Secretary further announced that the civil service establishment will be cut by 2% each fiscal year from 2026-27 to 2027-28, a total of about 10,000 positions. "The government took the improvement of economic conditions and room for private market salary increase into consideration,” said Chan in the press conference, “freezing civil servants’ salaries is more appropriate than cutting them.” Reported as HK$87.2 billion for the fiscal year 2024-25, the expected consolidated budget deficit nearly doubles the government's initial forecast. On the other hand, Hong Kong hired approximately 173,000 civil servants to serve about 7 million population, while in comparison, Singapore employed about 86,000 workforces for around 5 million residents. “It (a pay freeze) is a sign of commitment to reduce expenditure,” said Linda Li Che-lan, Associate Head of Public and International Affairs at the City University of Hong Kong. “But we cannot rely on a pay freeze for civil servants to effectively cover the deficit.”  Leung Chau-ting, the chairman of Hong Kong Federation of Civil Service Unions, worries that a pay freeze for public servants would cause a chain-reaction.  “The decision can trigger large-scale wage freezes across industries following the authorities’ move, causing harm to the benefits for other non-government employees,” said Leung. The salary …

Society

Economic downturn fuels claw machine entrepreneurship

  • The Young Reporter
  • By: CHENG Tsz Sen Sean、SIU Tsz HangEdited by: Wing Chi HO
  • 2025-02-24

Claw machines, once a niche type of amusement, require minimal investment and management to operate, and now they are driving a new wave of entrepreneurship in Hong Kong’s bustling malls amid economic uncertainty. Claw machine arcades can stay open around the clock for which obsessed claw game lovers never have to stop. Recently, these machines have found their way into many shopping malls across Hong Kong, occupying previously vacant shop spaces and offering players a chance to win big prizes, such as a vacuum cleaner or a Nintendo Switch gaming console, for HK$5. The rental index of the Hong Kong retail property market has dropped by over 20 points after peaking in 2019, and the average rent for retail has been decreasing since then, according to the Rating and Valuation Department.   Despite the fall, many commercial spaces remain vacant and claw machine arcades have become a short-term solution for both landlords and business starters.    Anyone who can afford the rent, the machines and the prizes can open a claw machine arcade, as they require minimal staffing and maintenance.    Alan Tang, 30, owner of a claw machine arcade in Yuen Long said all the machines in his shop were rented out in 2020, but only 60% of them are rented out now.   His monthly income peaked at nearly HK$100,000 in 2020, but since then Tang has seen a 60% drop in revenue.    As of the beginning of this year, machine rent ranges from HK$3,500 to HK$4,500, a 25% decrease from 2020. By comparison, fewer machines are being rented out.   “Claw machines require little management, more people are joining this business as it brings a decent amount of profit,” Tang said.   Tang added that the monthly rent for his store is about HK$50,000. Operating 24 …

Business

Hong Kong’s IPO market signals recovery with new Tech-friendly listing rules

  • The Young Reporter
  • By: ZHAO Runtong、Yichun Fang、XIA FanEdited by: Junzhe JIANG
  • 2025-02-02

Hong Kong welcomed its largest tech sector IPO in three years in late October, when Horizon Robotics, a Chinese autonomous driving firm, succeeded in raising a total fund of HK$ 5.4 billion.    The debut was similar to that of Midea, a Chinese home appliances manufacturing and retail company, which filed its initial public offering in late September, making it the city’s largest IPO since 2021.    Despite these IPOs providing some much-needed momentum, Hong Kong’s sluggish stock market is experiencing one of its slowest years for listing in the past decade.  KPMG reported that in the first quarter of 2024, only 12 new companies succeeded in listing in the local stock market, marking a 35% fall on a year-on-year basis, with a total annual fall of 30% to HK$ 4.7 billion raised. Proceeds from IPOs in the first quarter of 2024 were the lowest since 2009, as the city's worldwide ranking for IPOs fell outside the top five. Hong Kong stepped up its effort to boost the local stock market, aiming to regain its reputation as the world’s leading capital hub.   Earlier in March, the HKEX amended its listing rules, easing specialist technology companies' access to go public, known as Chapter 18C. The regulators lowered the valuation threshold for listing in Hong Kong at the end of August. The measure responds to the big companies’ waning interests in the Hong Kong stock market. Giant tech companies such as e-commerce platforms Alibaba and electric vehicle manufacturer NIO Inc. all put listings in the US as their first choices.     “Technology stocks are vital players and propelling powers in stock markets, as they are often at the forefront of innovation, offering promising growth to investors,” said Ju Wang, the head of greater China strategy at BNP Paribas. “The US is …

Culture & Leisure

"Suede" Ignites Clockenflap Stage After Eight Years

  • By: Tsz Chiu MaEdited by: Ben Rong Li、Xiya RUI
  • 2024-12-14

One of Hong Kong’s favourite Britpop bands, Suede is back with a vengeance at this year’s Clockenflap. Brett Anderson, the main vocalist of Suede, showcased his famous microphone swinging during the show. Their performance even broke through the generations as numbers of young audiences were also attracted to have a glimpse of them. In 1999, thousands of fans packed into the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre to watch their show, resulting in several injuries. Suede’s performance on the second night this year included songs such as “Beautiful Ones”, “Animal Nitrate” and “Trash”. They joined French electronica duo Air, British rapper Central Cee, Japanese hip-hop duo Creepy Nuts and others at the popular music festival from November 29 to December 1 in Central Harbourfront. Benson Chiu, a longtime Suede fan was excited to see the band play in Hong Kong again. “It was a precious moment when they performed ‘Saturday Night’ on a Saturday night,” he said. “I hope they will come to Hong Kong again in the future.” Another highlight of the festival was the community singalong of “Seven Nation Army” during American guitarist Jack White’s performance. As the greatest hit by The White Stripes, created by Jack White, “Seven Nation Army” has since become a famous stadium chant. The crowd in Clockenflap continued chanting the song after the show ended. Apart from big names and headliners, Clockenflap also showcased many hidden gems. Gloria Chan, who was at the festival for the third time, said she was surprised to discover the Japanese group Turtle Island. “Their performance was so amazing that they seamlessly blended lots of instruments together without any dissonance,” said Chan. Clockenflap sold out twice in 2023, but sales weren’t as good this year. Many participants felt that this year's festival was much less crowded than in …

Politics

Engaging the Diaspora: Examining the Significance of Overseas Voting in Hong Kong for Korea's 22nd National Assembly Elections

Ban Kyungmin, an exchange student at Hong Kong Baptist University, came to the Korean consulate with a friend on the first day of the election to vote.  "I've always participated since I had the right to vote. I knew that I could vote overseas, so I applied in advance to participate in the overseas elections,” she said. South Korea is holding parliamentary elections on April 10th. Under the overseas election system, which was introduced after the amendment of the Public Offices Election Act in 2009, the Korean Central Election Commission announced that it would set up overseas voting stations in 178 diplomatic missions around the world, so Koreans living in Hong Kong will be able to vote at the Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in Hong Kong from March 27 to April 1 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on each day.   The Hong Kong Korean Association and other Korean student organizations in all Hong Kong universities and colleges have been eagerly anticipating the event and have been promoting it through their respective online communities and social media. Election officials are at the entrance to guide the election. “I think it's an opportunity for Koreans abroad to feel a sense of belonging to Korea and to unite with other Koreans living abroad,"  Ban Kyung-min added. Kyungmin Ban and her friend make a "vote-proof pose". The Korean Central Election Commission is responsible for preventing and cracking down on election crimes and supervising election administration. The Overseas Election Commission comprises two members nominated by the NEC, one nominated by each of the political parties that form a bargaining group in the National Assembly, and one nominated by the head of the diplomatic mission.  Overseas missions and the Election Commission have recruited various personnel, including poll guides and election officials.  …

Culture & Leisure

Art Basel Hong Kong full-scale returns with an objective turnover

The 11th edition of Art Basel Hong Kong was held from Mar. 28 to 30 at the Convention and Exhibition Center, with more than 80,000 visitors and totaling $39.4 million, recording a 4% increase in global turnover. Art Basel 2024 showcased the work from 242 of the world's leading galleries from 40 countries and territories.  Lu Caiyun, Chairman of UBS Wealth Management Asia, said in a public address that art market sales in Mainland China and Hong Kong reached approximately US$12.2 billion, a 9% increase year-on-year. "While the cloud of high interest rates, inflation and political instability continues to slow down growth at the top end of the market, buyers are particularly active in the lower price points,” said Clare McAndrew, the founder of Arts Economics.  This year, 23 galleries from Asia, Europe, Africa and the Americas exhibited in Hong Kong for the first time, with an increase of 65 galleries over 2023, according to Art Basel Hong Kong. “Our goal is to connect visitors from around the world with our home, Hong Kong, through the collaboration and innovation inspired by art and artists," said the director of Art Basel Hong Kong Sylvia Lok in public address.  

Hong Kong Budget Unveils HK$ 1.09 billion to Boost Tourism, Reinventing the City's Brand Image

  • 2024-02-29

Financial Secretary Mr. Paul Chan released the budget proposal today. Photo source: Sing Tao Daily. Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po said he would allocate an additional HK$1.09 billion to support the tourism industry, including monthly fireworks displays and drone performances on Victoria Harbour, revitalising the nightly harbour light show and promoting immersive and in-depth experiences such as "Citywalk."  The plan aims to effectively use the city's waterfront resources and enhance local tourism activities to attract visitors and improve Hong Kong's economy while reshaping its brand image. The Tourism Board also intends to introduce dining, retail and entertainment facilities in suitable locations along the Victoria Harbour waterfront to provide convenience and enhance the visitor experience, Chan said. “We want to promote Hong Kong as a hospitable, people-focused city,” Chan said in the budget address. The government is also launching initiatives such as the Sai Kung Hoi Art Festival to "soft sell" Hong Kong.  However, Tang Wing Tung, 20, a university student and hiking enthusiast, said, "As a hiking enthusiast, these projects already have some level of promotion within Hong Kong itself. I believe the government's so-called 'soft sell' approach will have little impact," she said. The budget highlights initiatives to promote arts, culture, and creative industries to boost tourism, including an East-meets-West Centre for International Cultural Exchange and introducing a blueprint for developing arts, culture, fashion and creative industries. Funding injections of around HK$1.4 billion and HK$2.9 billion will support film, arts and design projects, including the annual Hong Kong Fashion Design Week. Local vocational college VTC  held a fashion show in West Kowloon in October 2023, though Christian Dior postponed its highly anticipated March fashion show on Feb 26.  The government has also launched the Signature Performing Arts Programme Scheme to establish long-running, representative local performing arts programs. They aim …