INFO · Search
· Chinese version · Subscribe

The Young Reporter

Politics

Apple Daily founder Jimmy Lai sentenced to 20 years in national security trial

Hong Kong High Court on Monday sentenced Apple Daily founder Jimmy Lai to 20 years in prison, the harshest penalty imposed so far under national security law.  The 78-year-old media tycoon was convicted in December 2025 on two counts of conspiring to collude with foreign forces to endanger national security and one count of conspiring to publish seditious materials.    The court described Lai as the “mastermind and driving force” behind a years-long campaign that included urging foreign governments to impose sanctions on Hong Kong and China.   The court ruled that the engagement of a foreign entity in endangering national security is regarded as more serious and “deserving of a more serious penalty".   Lai has already spent more than five years in custody on separate fraud charges related to his media company. The sentence means he will likely remain imprisoned well into his 90s. Eight other defendants, including former Apple Daily staff and members of the “Stand with Hong Kong” activist group, received prison sentences ranging from 6 years and 3 months to 10 years. Three companies linked to the newspaper, who are already insolvent, were each fined more than HK$3 million.  The verdict sparked strong criticism from the international community. The UK’s Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper said the term is “tantamount to a life sentence” in a statement. The Committee to Protect Journalists also called the decision the “final nail in the coffin for freedom of the press in Hong Kong”.   Hong Kong and Beijing officials said the ruling upholds the rule of law and safeguards national security. Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu said in a statement, “Lai’s actions sacrificed the well-being of the people, betrayed the country, harmed Hong Kong and damaged the interests of both the nation and the city. Lai deserved the punishment.”    This case marks the first full sentencing under the national security law for “collusion with foreign forces.” It comes nearly five years since Apple Daily was forced to cease operations in 2021 following a series of police raids and asset freezes.  The legal teams representing Jimmy Lai and the other defendants have not yet indicated whether they will appeal the verdict. 

Culture & Leisure

Champion cracks men’s rock-paper-scissors “paper” habit amid 1000-people competition

  • The Young Reporter
  • By: ZHENG Yuan Elaine、ZHENG WU AnnyEdited by: Lan Xinbei
  • 2026-02-10

More than a thousand people took part in the city’s first large-scale rock-paper-scissors competition, with 32-year-old Polly Kong crowned champion after observing many male players tended to start with “paper.” In the final round, Kong defeated Lam Tsz-fung, the organiser of the event, who had been crowned "Boxing Champion" due to his consecutive victories on a YouTube series. “A secret to winning was that I found male players tend to start with paper,” Kong said. “I also kept an eye on opponents’ moves to guess their next gestures.”  The first rock-paper-scissors competition was held at The Mills in Tsuen Wan, drawing over a thousand people, who ditched their phones and came face-to-face to play. Organised by former Trial & Error members, the competition used a standard best of five elimination format. Lam said people often play rock-paper-scissors casually, but rarely compete with it strategically. “In the Cuttlefish Game segment of the YouTube show Trial & Error, I was fully immersed in the Rock-Paper-Scissors game and was determined to win,” he said. “This interesting experience sparked the idea of sharing, and so I organised this competition," he added. The rock-paper-scissors event was more than a competition, it also revived the nostalgic memories for Hongkongers of the classic face-to-face play. Participants said the event recalled other classic face-face games like the hand-guessing drinking game Fifteen-Twenty and  “Tong Ci Dau,” a close-contact partner game.  The lively atmosphere drew participants from different age groups and industries.  Celebrities and influencers, such as actress Li Man-yi and singer Lee Hoi-kiu, also participated in the competition. “I’m really exhilarated today. I can't believe the game got me jumping up and down," Lee said. Many parents attended the event with their children. A father-son duo stood out, with the father winning three group stage rounds and the son …

Culture & Leisure

Flea market closes after 17 years saddened locals

  • The Young Reporter
  • By: LI Cin Hang Olivia、CHAN Hiu YingEdited by: CHAN Hiu Ying
  • 2026-02-04

Reported by: Talja Blumenthal, Olivia LI Cin-hang, Kate Chan Hiu-ying Edited by: Kate Chan Hiu-ying A flea market in Kam Tin closed permanently on Jan. 31 after 17 years of operation due to the development plan of the Northern Link, leaving many visitors and merchants saddened as they attended its farewell. Located a few meters away from Kam Sheung Road Station, the Kam Sheung Road Flea Market has been a local landmark, renowned for selling nostalgic snacks, second-hand items and handmade clothes across nearly 200 colourful stalls every weekend since 2008. "I feel lost about not coming here on weekends anymore," said Liu Chau-king, 68, who has sold handmade crafts at the market for 17 years.  Liu is reluctant to leave as she has become close friends with some merchants and customers. "I've known some of them since they were kids and I watched them grow into adults."  Liu said she is considering moving to a new bazaar or selling her products in her daughter's shop in the future.  A few stalls away from Liu’s stall, Tiffany Lam, a 50-year-old apparel manufacturer, said that discussing fashion styling with female customers who frequently visited her booth was part of her life after 16 years of the market, and now has come to an end. Lam said she will not continue her business after the closure as she plans to retire. A longtime local visitor, Connie Wong, 60, said this flea market cannot be replaced. "This place is special because what they sell is very unique and nostalgic, so it’s a pity that it is shutting down.” "There used to be many flea markets in Hong Kong, but now one of the larger ones is gone as well,"she said. After the closure of the Kam Sheung Road Flea Market, only a few …

Society

International Education Fair Myanmar records lowest turnout since relaunch in 2023

Yangon, Myanmar - The International Education Fair Myanmar 2026 drew around 300 registered visitors, a 40% decline compared to last year and the lowest turnout since the event resumed in 2023, according to the fair’s public menu. Aimed at connecting local students with both domestic and international institutions, the fair falls Jan. 31 to Feb. 1 in Yangon, organised by Dagon Exhibition Limited. “Some institutions are strong at marketing but may offer a different experience after enrolment, ” said Phoo Sone Nyi Tun, 24, who came to seek a potential university for her younger sister.  “We don’t have the chance to visit the campuses in person now, so this is the only way to check,” Phoo Sone Nyi Tun said. Naing Lin Tun, 17,  said, “I came to the fair to look for alternative universities and understand what options are still open for this year's intake.” He dropped out of a “2+2 degree” programme at INTI International University in Malaysia, which promised students the opportunity to complete the final two years of college in the United States.  “The main reason I enrolled was the transfer pathway. I expected the programme to be a stepping stone, but without the chance to transfer to the United States, I felt the education I was receiving wasn’t strong enough for me to continue,” Naing Lin Tun said. According to the National Immigration Forum, Burmese residents were no longer eligible to obtain a student visa to the United States after a travel ban announced in 2025. To address families’ concerns and the long-term loss of talents, the local community hopes more international institutions establish their branches in Myanmar, said Nay Oke, 82, patron of College and University Association Myanmar.  “If these schools establish local campuses, young people won’t need to leave the country to access …

Society

Pet the insect: Mantis exhibition sparks interest among pet buyers

  • The Young Reporter
  • By: LI Jinyang Carlos、RONG Miu Tung ShellyEdited by: CHEN Ziyu
  • 2026-02-03

Visitors gathered around rows of glass cages to observe the live mantises at the annual Hong Kong Pet Show, held at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre from Jan. 29 to Feb. 1. The exhibition aims to show the unique charm of mantises as a kind of pet, breaking the public’s stereotypes towards mantises, said Lai Kai-keh, 61, who is responsible for marketing and sourcing of mantises.  “There are many misunderstandings about insects in Hong Kong. For instance, stick insects can actually be kept as pets,” Lai said. Over 50 species of mantises were displayed, including more than 10 new varieties, such as the colourful Metallyticus mantis and the impressive Peruvian shield mantis. All mantises were provided by the organisation “Mantis Forest”. Lai said education is more important than promotion.  “We don’t encourage impulsive ownership if owners do not really understand this species. They should learn more about mantises,” he added. He added the ownership of insect pets has increased. “There are already more than 300 members in the Hong Kong mantis association on Facebook.” Visitors were interested in the mantis's camouflage and the setup of its breeding cage. Some booths were crowded with people looking for those well-hidden mantises. Some traditional pet lovers were considering keeping mantises for the first time due to their beauty, both in stature and active posture.  “The special posture and its tiny size are really eye-catching," said Canny Heoi, a cat owner who was attracted by the petal-like limbs and elegant posture of the orchid mantis. “For a city known for its love of cats and dogs, this special mantis exhibition proved that even the smallest species can be the spotlight of the public,” Lai said.

New Lives, New Challenges: Chinese expats seek openness in Saudi Arabia’s workplace

  • 2026-01-29

Driven by Saudi Vision 2030, Saudi Arabia is opening new doors for expats, but challenges remain: cultural differences, language barriers, and visa regulations. RIYADH, Saudi Arabia Jan 23 – Jamie Chou, 38, lies in bed at her home in Taiwan, cradling her newborn daughter. Having recently been laid off just after a five-month maternity leave, though not because of it, she scrolls through LinkedIn, applying for jobs all over the world. Suddenly, a message lights up her screen: a Saudi company is offering her the role of chief marketing officer. It’s not the first time Chou has received job offers from the Middle East. With a master’s degree in business and 15 years of marketing experience, she is an attractive candidate.  If this had happened in 2014 when she had just graduated, Chou said she would have rejected the offer without hesitation because of gender discrimination in Saudi Arabia. But now, with restrictions on women relaxed, one of her female classmates from her master’s program, who is a single mother, is still able to have a thriving career there with a kid. Chou accepted the offer after flying to Riyadh and discussing the opportunity with the company. In 2025, she moved to Saudi Arabia with her husband and one-year-old daughter.  Attracting foreign talent is part of Saudi Vision 2030, a long-term strategy launched in 2016 by the Saudi government to promote economic diversification and development. While the kingdom promises new opportunities and a more open society, expats say a truly open, welcoming work environment is still a work in progress. Chou said she still remembers when she tried to look up the company, she found almost no information.  “Is this a scam? Could I be kidnapped after I arrived in Riyadh?” she said, torn between a lucrative offer and a …

Photo Essay

Doha’s Falcon Souq keeps a century-old tradition alive

DOHA, Qatar Jan 14 – Falconry is one of the world’s oldest hunting traditions with a documented history spanning over 4,000 years. Introduced from Central Asia around the 7th century, Bedouin tribes of the Arabian Peninsula relied on falcons’ speed, sharp eyesight and innate hunting instincts to survive in the harsh desert, long before the rise of modern urbanisation. Today, this practical survival skill has evolved into a revered cultural tradition embedded in local folklore, poetry and royal customs. The Falcon market at Doha’s Souq Waqif is more than just a marketplace for local enthusiasts. It is a living landmark where visitors can experience firsthand the legacy of falconry in Qatari culture. Aziz, 65, is the owner of a falcon shop in the market. Originally from Pakistan, he came to Qatar in 1993. In 2012, Aziz opened his first falcon shop. He has since expanded to three shops in Qatar and employs 22 workers including three of his sons. According to Aziz, a falcon can fetch prices anywhere from 2,000 up to 1.75 million Qatari riyals (around HK$4,280 to HK$3,600,000). Among his collection, the most unique falcon is Rambo, a Gyrfalcon bred in Germany. With mostly white feathers and brown spots, this bird belongs to one of the largest birds of prey in the falcon family. In ancient times, northern emperors prized them for their outstanding hunting skills.

Society

Passengers and drivers doubt effectiveness and fairness of the new seatbelt rules

  • The Young Reporter
  • By: Cao Beiyu、Ng Wing Sum JodieEdited by: LEUNG Chi Ngai
  • 2026-01-28

Passengers and drivers are concerned about the fairness and effectiveness of the seatbelt amendment that officially took effect on Jan. 25. All passengers on public transport and drivers who fail to wear seatbelts without a reasonable excuse are now liable to a maximum fine of HK$5,000 and up to 3 months’ imprisonment, according to the new amendment. “I think there is enough publicity for this new rule. I’ve been seeing the government’s promotion on TV since December,” said Ng Siu-leung, 58, a passenger at Sha Tin bus terminus.  Another passenger, Wong Tsui-yim, 90, said she was aware of the new rule after seeing the news on TV, and her elderly friends would remind one another of the new seatbelt rules via WhatsApp groups. Despite the notice signs, Zhang Lan, a mainland Chinese tourist who had just arrived in Hong Kong for a vacation, said she had heard nothing about the amendment of the new rules. “I don’t think they are talking about it enough,” said Noa Navet, 19, a French woman living in Hong Kong.  Although the new seatbelt rule can better protect passenger safety, the government should promote the new rules for younger people and foreigners via social media, she added. The new amendment also states that drivers will receive an HK$2,000 fine if they have more than two technology devices placed in front of them while driving. Local resident Chan Chung-kei, 31, said it is unfair to have a higher penalty for passengers not wearing seatbelts compared to drivers who look at their digital devices while driving.   “It is the driver's responsibility to ensure the passengers’ safety, but why should inattentive drivers be fined less than passengers without seatbelts?” she said. Kong Pak-tung, 24, a Kowloon bus driver of route 289R, said he saw some passengers who didn’t …

Culture & Leisure

Fans flock to Kai Tak commercial district as Blackpink concert doubles Hong Kong restaurant revenue

Restaurants near the Kai Tak Stadium in Hong Kong saw a surge in business during K-pop powerhouse Blackpink’s concert weekend,  with many reporting a 100% increase in customers compared with usual days. The globally popular Korean girl group Blackpink held the final stop of their "Deadline" world tour at the Kai Tak Stadium from Jan. 24 to 26. The event not only created a vibrant scene inside the venue, but also significantly boosted the surrounding commercial consumption. Since Friday, excitement filled the area around Kai Tak MTR station, where crowds of fans dressed in black-and-pink outfits and carrying Blackpink’s signature hammer light stick gathered. Inside the station concourse, some of the group’s best-known tracks – including “Kill This Love” and “How You Like That” – played to welcome concertgoers.  Many fans chose to dine in the surrounding area before entering, boosting the popularity of the commercial district. Hongkongers Jadie Wong and Emily Lee, who attended the show, said they waited nearly an hour in line for a table at a restaurant inside the Airside, a shopping complex near the stadium. “The restaurant is very busy today with a large number of customers,” they added. Several eateries around the stadium launched themed promotions to draw in fans. "Garden of Eatin," located near the sports arena, introduced limited edition items such as a "Pink Burger" and Earl Grey tea served in Blackpink-style cups. Owner Edward Tsang said these special items were designed specifically for Blackpink fans. “This type of limited-time product was very popular during Blackpink concerts, with customer traffic increasing by 80% to 100%,” he added. Tsang expected the momentum to continue with upcoming shows at Kai Tak, including a concert by K-pop boy band Seventeen on Feb. 28. A barbecue restaurant “Gyu-Kaku” located in a shopping mall near the Kai …

Society

From ‘brain rot’ to balance: Gen Z’s pursuit of meaningful content in fragmented media

Every day, Zhang Danying, 22, an undergraduate student from mainland China at Hong Kong Baptist University, turns her phone on to enjoy scrolling through clips and image-driven posts on social media from the moment she wakes up. She spends almost 12 hours a day watching netizens dancing to pop music, or trying out various challenges. Zhang aspires to seek learning advice and reach for lighthearted social snippets to feel relaxed. Instead, she grew anxious from social comparison with people, and came down to media addiction that disrupted her daily routines out of the cyberworld, with constant inner struggles.  “It is hard not to watch social media for a day,” Zhang Danying said. “But after watching it, I feel uncomfortable all day.” Zhang is not alone. In mainland China as well as globally, it has become common for Gen Z to jokingly claim they are suffering from “brain rot”—a slang phrase that means poor cognitive skills and fading memory after hours of social media scrolling. As noted by the Oxford University Press in 2024, usage of the term “brain rot” surged by 230% from 2023 to 2024.  According to a 2024 survey by Bazaarvoice in Statista, 34% of interviewees' responses that short-form videos, such as TikTok and Instagram reels, are more effective at spreading online than text-based posts.  Based on Metricool Viral Trends Analysis, popular social media posts include catchy music, timely hashtags, evolving cultural conversations and collective online experiences, shaping as a market strategy.  As noted by the China Trends 2024 by Groove Dynasty, it highlights Douyin phenomena of emerging social experiment-type challenges, one case is that participants stage humiliating acts in crowded elevators to capture bystander reactions. Other examples include the ‘APT. Dance’ that features hand gestures with upbeat music. Zhang Danying is caught up in the wave of …