INFO · Search
· Chinese version · Subscribe

The Young Reporter

Society

China’s SinoVac And Sinopharm Included In UK Approved Vaccine List

The United Kingdom Government announced that they would be recognizing the World Health Organization’s list of emergency-use COVID-19 vaccines, including China’s SinoVac and Sinopharm, starting from today (22 November).  Apart from the two newly added vaccines, others such as Pifzer (also named BioNtech), Covishield,  AstraZeneca, Moderna, Johnson, and Covaxin are all on the list. Individuals who are vaccinated with the above vaccines will be allowed to visit the United Kingdom (UK) without a proof of negative results from COVID-19 testing, and are free from quarantine after arrival. Only one screening test is required after the day they arrive.  According to the UK Health Security Agency (HSA), 40,941 infections and 150 deaths were recorded on 20 November. The data released last week also shows the infections among school pupils aged between 10-19 increased from 571.7 cases per 100,000 students on 7 November to 694.2 cases to 14 November.  England also announced simplification on immigration procedures in early November. Individuals who are under 18 will be considered as fully vaccinated, they would not be subjected to mandatory pre-departure screening and quarantine upon their visits to the UK, but only one post-arrival test. Regarding the relaxation of travel restrictions, the UK Transport Secretary Grant Shapps stated that, “as we continue to recover from the pandemic and expand our recognition of international vaccines, today's announcements mark the next step in our restart of international travel.” Wong Lok-sze, a year 3 student studying in the Chinese University of Hong Kong, who is going to the UK for an exchange next month, said  “it is actually more convenient for me because I don't have to quarantine either.” “But I would also be worried about other people who do not need to be quarantined, and I would prefer to have a quarantine policy,” she added.  Wong is …

Society

Public disappointed after cloudy weather distorts rare lunar eclipse

The longest partial lunar eclipse since the 15th century took place today, according to Indiana’s Holcomb Observatory. The partial lunar eclipse began at 3:19 pm and ended at 6:47 pm, lasting for three hours and 28 minutes, according to NASA. It marked the longest partial lunar eclipse in 581 years. The last partial lunar eclipse that stretched longer happened on Feb. 18, 1440. In Hong Kong, the partial eclipse was visible during moonrise from 5:38 pm and ended at 6:47 pm, according to the Hong Kong Space Museum. The Hong Kong Space Museum said that a partial lunar eclipse is divided into five stages. Only the two stages, “Moon exits umbra” and “Moon exits penumbra” were visible in Hong Kong during the time of the eclipse. Unfortunately for people who gathered for this rare celestial event, the eclipse was barely visible. The Museum said that people would not be able to clearly see the partial lunar eclipse since the moon was at a low altitude and the sky was not completely dark while the eclipse was in progress, “We cannot see the whole partial eclipse process this time” Chan Chun-lam, the assistant curator of Hong Kong Space Museum said. When the Sun, the Earth, and the Moon align, the Moon enters the Earth's shadow, resulting in a lunar eclipse including penumbral eclipse, partial eclipse and total eclipse, depending on how the Moon comes in contact with the Earth's shadow, according to Hong Kong Observatory. “During the partial lunar eclipse, the moon is not completely obscured by the umbra, the dark and inner shadow of the Earth. So only the eclipsed part turns black, the rest of the moon is only slightly darkened,” Chan said. The next time the Earth will see a partial lunar eclipse as lengthy as today’s will …

Society

Mental health impact of quarantine under COVID-19

Charlene Flores and her husband nearly got divorced in the last two hours of a 14-day quarantine. “We ended up arguing. There were a lot of rules. It really affected our mental well-being," said Ms Flores.  Those who have to be confined in a room for weeks report impacts on their mental health because of the resulting loneliness and anxiety. She is a French freelance photographer for Paris-based national newspapers and magazines and has lived in Hong Kong since January 2020. Ms Flores, her 14-month old daughter and her 36-year old husband stayed at the Iclub Ma Tau Wai Hotel. She arrived in Hong Kong on August 18.  Hong Kong has some of the strictest quarantine requirements in the world.  Depending on which risk level their originating country falls under, the Department of Health requires in-bound travellers to be quarantined at designated hotels for either two or three weeks. As of September, fully vaccinated Hong Kong residents from “high risk” (or Group A) countries, including the UK, France, India, and Thailand, had to be quarantined for 21 days.  Fully vaccinated travellers arriving from “medium risk” (or Group B) countries must test negative for Covid-19 and quarantine for 14 days while the unvaccinated in this group must quarantine for 21 days.  Currently, the only places that fall under the “low risk” (Group C) category include New Zealand, mainland China and Macao. Non-Hong Kong and Hong Kong residents are required to quarantine for seven days if vaccinated, and 14 if not. "It was a tough, expensive and stressful experience. We were always afraid that there might be a false negative test or being identified as a close contact," said Mrs Flores.  Karman Leung, Chief Executive of the Samaritan’s Hong Kong, an independent non-governmental organisation, said they receive approximately three to five calls …

Society

Government looks into tactics to handle “fake news”, says Chief Secretary John Lee

Chief secretary, John Lee revealed today that the government is looking at how other countries tackle the spread of disinformation. Speaking on RTHK, Mr. Lee said a legal study is underway on how to deal with the problem and he has not ruled out the possibility of new legislation. The move comes after the government introduced new laws earlier to clamp down doxxing and hate speech. “The fake news legislation can stop destructive rumors from spreading in Hong Kong. Freedom must be exercised under law, which allows people to enjoy more freedom,” Mr. Lee said. Another proposal to manage fake news is to require publishers to self-regulate. Where information is not verified or fact-checked, publishers would be required to make a statement, Mr. Lee said.  He added that he preferred to act on content management first to seek a balance between controlling misinformation and freedom of the press.  Tang Tak-shing, chairman of Politihk Social Strategic, a local political organisation, believes it is necessary to introduce a fake news law because of the rise of online news media and unchecked reporting.  “We prefer legislation since it is difficult to ask online media with low credibility to be self-regulated. The bill can make the boundaries clear toward news media,” said Mr Tang.  A survey released  by the Foreign Correspondent Club earlier this month found that 75.8% of the 99 respondents including correspondents and journalist members were very concerned about the possible introduction of a “fake news” law in Hong Kong. The chairman of the Hong Kong Journalist Association (HKJA), Ronson Chan Long-sing, said that the government often claims that news media smear police officers, but “they can clarify this immediately instead of waiting for rumors to spread and blame the media”. “It is hard to self-regulate as proposed by John Lee,”  said …

Society

Negotiations between Foodpanda Hong Kong and couriers on minimum wage to continue

  Couriers for the online food and grocery delivery app Foodpanda, owned by European company Delivery Hero, gathered at the company's offices in Sheung Wan on Tuesday, deadlocked in negotiations with the company over setting a standard base wage. The two sides sat down to negotiate after 300 disgruntled courier workers went on strike Saturday and Sunday to protest wage cuts, expanded delivery areas and inadequate insurance for self-employed operators, an action that involved several regions and affected the food delivery service, according to Headline Daily. Strike organizers drew up a list of 15 demands to give company’s representatives during the negotiation on Tuesday, ranging from a minimum service fee to time limits for completing orders. During negotiations that lasted from 5 p.m. until late at night, labor and management failed to reach an agreement. From August to November, Foodpanda's minimum service fees decreased in more than 40 regions in Hong Kong, ranging from 7% to 11%, according to the order service fee range sheet of Foodpanda. In negotiations, couriers asked for a minimum service fee of $50 for motorcyclists and $30 for walkers and cyclists, and asked the company to calculate service charge based on actual delivery distance instead of straight-line distance. “In August, I can earn about $900 a day, but after the fall in service fees, I can only earn $600 a day,” said Lam Chi-yung, a part-time delivery person for Foodpanda.  “If Foodpanda doesn’t answer our appeals, other couriers and I will probably continue to strike,” Lam added. Foodpanda and its couriers will restart negotiations on Thursday, as Tuesday's seven-hour discussion was inconclusive. Ho Hung-hing, the administrator of the Catering and Hotel Industries Employees General Union, told RTHK on Wednesday that it is difficult to reach a consensus on the requests over service fees as it …

Disney+ video service launches in Hong Kong as stock price continues to tumble

  • 2021-11-16

Disney+, the on-demand video streaming platform from the Walt Disney Company, landed in Hong Kong today, bringing a series of film and TV shows from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and Star to Hong Kong audiences. Disney stock dropped nearly 11% this week to US$158.43, five consecutive days of losses after its 2021 earnings release. Disney+ has accumulated 116 million subscribers in less than two years since it launched. But subscriber growth has stalled in North America. The company hopes the Asia-Pacific market will lift subscriptions, according to the company’s third-quarter financial report. The streaming platform also launched in South Korea and Taiwan this month, with previous moves into Asia-Pacific, including Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Singapore, India, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand. The platform will offer access to more than 1,200 films and 16,000 TV series, with Cantonese dubbing and subtitles designed for Hong Kong audiences for a monthly or annual fee. The platform includes Disney movies such as Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, the first Asian superhero movie in the Marvel series. "I have to get one if I want to watch its series. However, if I want to watch a Netflix series, I can borrow a Netflix membership from my friends,” said Wang Shinuo, 20, living in Hong Kong and who plans to buy a subscription. Hong Kong already has multiple video streaming platforms including on-demand services from US companies HBO, Amazon, Apple TV and Netflix. “One advantage of Disney+ is that it is more suitable for children and the whole family to watch,” said Li Yanzhi, professor and head of the Department of Marketing at the City University of Hong Kong. He said each streaming platform has its own characteristics, including more diverse content on Netflix, such as Hong Kong, Korean and Japanese movies …

Business

Hong Kong stocks close higher, up 5 consecutive days

Hong Kong stocks rose slightly on Monday, with the blue-chip index closing higher for five consecutive trading days after China’s announced better than expected October retail sales but trading volume remained thin. The Hang Seng Index ended at 25,390, up 62 points or 0.25% on turnover of about HK$118.6 billion. The index moved between within a narrow range of 253 points for the day. China’s industrial production rose 3.5 percent year-on-year in October and retail sales increased 4.9 percent, both were slightly better than market expected, according to the South China Morning Post. The Hang Seng technology index edged up 0.5% to ​​6,601, while Tencent rose more than 1%. Mainland property and property management stocks fell, while the performance of financial stocks was mixed. Shares of HSBC eased 0.22% but AIA rose more than 2%. The Beijing Stock Exchange started its first day of trading on Monday and the total trading volume of 9.573 billion yuan. At the close, 59 stocks or nearly three quarter of the 81 listed stocks, closed lower and three were suspended. The Shanghai and Shenzhen stock markets fell. Lithium battery stocks weakened while meta-universe concept stocks and food and beverage stocks rose. The Shanghai Composite Index closed at 3,533, down 0.16%. The Shenzhen Stock Exchange Composite Index eased 0.19% to 2,462.39.

Society

154 candidates to fight for 90 seats as nomination period ends in first LegCo elections after Beijing overhaul

The nomination period for the 2021 Legislative Council general election ended Friday with 154 candidates getting enough endorsements to run, according to official statistics.  In the December election, 20 of the 90 seats will be directly elected by geographical constituencies. The Election Committee will appoint 40 seats. The remaining 30 are elected by functional constituencies. Though the overall number of lawmakers has increased from 70 in the city’s first Legco election since Beijing’s sweeping overhaul of the system earlier this year, the number of directly elected seats, chosen by residents from 10 geographic districts, decreased from 35. Motions in the Legislative Council need two-thirds consent to be passed, according to the Basic Law. Previously, many directly elected lawmakers were from pro-democracy parties.  Most have been disqualified. “Hong Kongers’ enthusiasm for participating in politics was quenched,” Francis Chau Yin-Ming, a former legislative council member and current district councillor, said. This year’s hopeful candidates vied for nominations from the city’s Election Committee, in which most members are from pro-establishment parties. “I started from scratch. I have to work very hard to promote my political platform to the public and the election committee,” said Wong Wing-Ho, a candidate from the moderate Path of Democracy party. “But now the atmosphere of discussion in the reformed electoral system is much more rational now.” This year, every constituency will be contested for the first time. Some non-pro-establishment candidates are confident in the new system. “Fortunately, there are no swing voters. So, there is no conflict between us and pro-establishment candidates,” another candidate from Path of Democracy, Chan Chun-Hung, said. “So, I am very confident that more normal Hong Kong people can vote.”   A handful of candidates are not from the pro-establishment camp, some with previous ties to the opposition or who define themselves as moderates. “In …

Society

HK Philharmonic Swire Symphony Under The Stars back in-person after 2 year hiatus

The Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra returned to the Central harbourfront on Saturday for its annual Swire Symphony Under The Stars, after being moved online last year because of the pandemic and cancelled in 2019 because of pro-democracy protests.  The orchestra presented an exuberant programme of classical dance music with four philharmonic musicians performing as soloists: violist Andrew Ling and trumpeters Christopher Moyse, Douglas Waterston and Robert Smith.  "This year's event is very exciting because all the pieces are classical dance pieces," host Harry Wong said in his opening remarks.  Hong Kong conductor Wilson Ng led the concert after music director Jaap van Zweden was denied a quarantine waiver by the Hong Kong government. All of his remaining 2021 appearances have been cancelled. About 12,000 people attended the concert live at the Central harbourfront on Saturday night and around 2,000 attended the live screening at the West Kowloon Art Park, Wong said at the concert.  "It's a very artistic weekend in West Kowloon as the concert also coincides with the opening of the M+ museum of visual culture and other events," said Paul Tam, executive director of performing arts at the West Kowloon Cultural District.  "West Kowloon is not just an entertainment hub, also for civic engagement, you actually enjoy both inside and outside and it's pet-friendly.” "It's good that the event is free and it is socially distanced to give people access to the orchestra," said Marcus Scarlett, who watched the live screening of the concert from the Art Park. "It's really nice that the host engaged the audience to be involved in the dance music," said Vanessa Kwan, who also attended the live screening at the Art Park.  The concert was also shown online via Zoom and live streamed on  the philharmonic website, official Facebook page and YouTube channel.  …

Business

Hong Kong stocks close higher, blue chips performance varies

Hong Kong stocks rose for the fourth day in a row on Friday, with the blue chip index ending the week above the 25,000 mark boosted by technology stocks, while other blue chips recorded diverse performance. The Heng Seng Index opened up 1.09 percent but gains were pared at noon. The benchmark index was up 0.32% to end the day at 25,327, the highest close of the week in a four days winning streak.  Technology stocks led the market rally as Tencent surged 1.59% to HK$458.2. Meituan followed by jumping 2.6% to HK$289.8. JD.com rose 5.17% to HK$329.4 as it’s sales during the Double Eleven Event achieved a record high of 349 million yuan. Alibaba dropped 0.49% to HK$162.4 as gross merchandise volume from its online shopping platform, Tmall, dropped. Mobile device stocks recorded diverse performances. Sunny Optical was the best performing blue chip stock, rocketing 4.72% to HK$226.0. Meanwhile, Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC) dropped 3.8% to HK$22.6. SMIC’s deputy chairman of the board and executive director Chiang Sheung-yee announced his resignation on Thursday. Haidilao decreased 9.01% to HK$20.2, making it the biggest loser among all blue chips. The economy in mainland China remains weak due to inflation. This might affect enterprises’ profitability, Yiu Ho-yin, managing director of Cash Wealth Management told Oriental Daily News. HSCE and the SSE Composite Index grew 0.73% and 0.18% respectively, while the CSI 300 Index fell 0.21%.