INFO · Search
· Chinese version · Subscribe

Politics

Society

Five highlights from Hong Kong Budget Address 2022-23

In response to the fifth wave of outbreak in Hong Kong, Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po unveiled today’s 2022-23 Budget online, a first for the city. Here are a few highlights of his speech: 1. Important figures The government’s total revenue is estimated to be HK$715.9 billion, a 3.3% increase compared with the previous year, while expenditures will increase 15.5% to HK$807.3 billion, Chan said.  Hong Kong will have an HK$18.9 billion surplus for 2021-22, Chan said, rather than the expected HK$101.6 billion deficit.  Fiscal reserves are expected to be HK$946.7 billion by the end of March. 2. Tax The rates of profits tax and salaries tax will remain unchanged in view of the current economic situation, Chan said. The government will also continue to waive up to HK$10,000 of salaries tax and tax under personal assessment. “With the outbreak of the fifth wave of the epidemic, businesses and individuals are generally under considerable financial pressure,” he said.  3. Progressive rating system A progressive rating system for domestic properties will be introduced to reflect the "affordable users pay" principle.  For properties with a rateable value of HK$550,000 or less, rates will remain uncharged at the present level of 5%  Property owners will pay 8% for a rateable value up to HK$800,00 and 12% over that. Chan said this will affect about 42,000 local properties, accounting for around 2% of private real estate, but will bring an increase of about $760 million in annual government revenue. 4. Anti-virus measure Chan added about HK$22 billion to the Food and Health Bureau to strengthen Covid-19 testing work, produce rapid antigen test kits and provide additional support for the Hospital Authority. 5. Green city The government will inject HK$200 million into the Green Tech Fund to build a liveable and green city and HK$1.5 …

Society

Budget 2022: Financial Secretary announces additional $10 billion to boost Hong Kong’s biotechnology industry

Hong Kong will continue to invest billions in the biotechnology industry as it works to enhance institutional capacity with HK$10 billion earmarked for life and health technology, Paul Chan Mo-po, Financial Secretary, said in his budget address today.  The investment in the innovation and technology sector comes amid the Greater Bay Area development. The establishment of the InnoLife Healthtech Hub in the Hong Kong Shenzhen Innovation and Technology Park, announced in the 2021 policy address, will bring the research strengths and resources of laboratories to create greater synergy, Secretary for Innovation and Technology Alfred Sit Wing-hang said in October last year. Biotechnology plays a significant role globally as it will dominate important economic activities in the 21th century and firms or countries that control key biotechnology will be able to rule the market and the economic development, according to scholars. “With more than 16 laboratories and the eight relevant State Key Laboratories, we can pool together top‑notch research teams from all over the world and focus our efforts on R&D work as well as global research collaboration in the field of life and health sciences,” Chan said. There are more than 250 biotechnology‑related companies in Hong Kong, with the majority of them operating in pharmaceuticals, traditional Chinese medicinal, healthcare products or medical devices and diagnostics, according to the Hong Kong Trade Development Council. In the 2018-19 Budget Address, biotechnology was recognized as one of four priority sectors, which Chan had earmarked an additional $50 billion for developing innovation and technology in Hong Kong. “Continuous promotion of Innovation and Technology development is an important strategy to foster a more vibrant and diversified economy.  The 14th Five‑Year Plan supports Hong Kong's development into an international I&T hub,” said Chan.  The current-term government has invested more than $130 billion in I&T development, which …

Society

Budget 2022: Silver Bonds and Care Homes to help Hong Kong’s elderly people

The Financial Secretary has earmarked an additional $2.38 billion in this year’s budget to provide an extra half-month payment of Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA), Old Age Allowance, Old Age Living Allowance, and Disability Allowance, to Hong Kong’s most needy. But Sze Lai-shan, deputy director of the Society for Community Organisation said more needs to be done,  “There are very few measures for the elderly, but mainly giving money to the middle class. The budget should be allocated more to the grassroots like the elderly and the weak,”said Sze. “The government should spend more money on the healthcare services for the elderly as many of them are staying at home and no one can take care of them.”  As of Jan. 31 last year, nearly 37,000 elderly were waiting for a subsidised place in Care and Attention homes and Nursing Homes, according to the Social Welfare Department.  The budget sets aside an additional HK$19 billion to be spent on strengthening services for the elderly, the disabled and children. Part of the sum will go towards building eight new contract homes for residential elderly care service in the Kwu Tung North New Development area and Fanling, providing an estimated additional 800 places. On top of four existing neighbourhood elderly centres offering basic elderly support, one more will be constructed in Area 54 in Tuen Mun.  To help well off elderly people, the government will issue at least HK$35 billion worth of silver bonds in the coming year. That’s an increase of HK$10 billion from last year. Only people aged 60 years and above can invest in silver bonds and it will give them a fixed income on a half-yearly basis. A fixed rate of 3.5% per annum is given to silver bonds due 2023 and 2024, according to the key features …

Politics

Two sentenced under sedition law for handing out leaflets advocating independence

  • The Young Reporter
  • By: Karmen LiEdited by: Malick Gai、Jayde Cheung、Jenny Lam
  • 2022-02-01

Former school clerk Cho Suet-sum, 45 was jailed for 13.5 months at the District Court yesterday. Her co-defendant, 17-year-old Wong Chun-wai, will undergo nine months of rehabilitation. The pair pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to print, publish and distribute seditious materials. The court heard how they handed out leaflets that included the slogan “Hong Kong people, build an army. Establish a state.” The withered bauhinia covered in red paint on the leaflet, mimicking the regional emblem, was intended to provoke violence, according to the judgement. National security law judge, Kwok Wai-kin ruled that the defendants incited others to commit violence to attain Hong Kong independence, which is very close to incitement to secession under national security law. Judge Kwok said Cho manipulated the naivety of Wong and incited others to use violence to achieve her political purpose, making her offense more serious. Cho is the second defendant convicted and sentenced under the sedition law since 1997. Property manager Chiang Chung-sang, 41, was sentenced to eight months in prison at West Kowloon Court on the same day. During the 1967 leftist riots, the sedition law was used to ban propaganda materials from communist forces against the colonial British government. The clause was used again recently against Apple Daily and Stand News after national security law came into effect. Cho was denied bail seven times and has been remanded in custody since June last year, while the teenager was granted conditional bail in August last year. Kwan Man-wai, counsel for Cho, said that the prosecution has overstated the wordings of the slogans. He added that calling others to change the existing political structure is not necessarily inciting violence. Ronny Leung, counsel for Wong, said that Wong wishes for early discharge in order to resume his studies and take the Diploma …

Politics

Police officer sentenced to four weeks in jail for upskirting

An off-duty traffic police officer was sentenced to four weeks in jail for taking photos up women’s skirts. The crime took place in the chain store Don Don Donki in Tsim Sha Tsui on Jan 21 last year.  So Yin-ho, 38, was charged with committing an act outraging public decency. He remained calm as Magistrate Jacky Yip Kai-leung meted out the sentence. The Magistrate ruled that upskirting is a serious and formidable crime that upsets women. So denied the charge despite security cameras recordings from the store and eye witness statements presented in court.  “It was premeditated and abhorrent,” said the Magistrate. “You do not feel guilty and denied all the accusations, including refusing to admit owning the phone to sneak the photos, even claiming that the safety guards at the store were biased against you.” A psychological report stated that So was likely to repeat the offence. He also showed no remorse while remanded in custody. So plans to appeal and has been released on a bail of HK$25,000 with conditions.  "Upskirting" is against the anti-voyeurism law which came into effect on October 8 last year. It prohibits "unlawful recording and observation of intimate part". Francis Kong, a social work supervisor of Caritas Specialised Treatment and Prevention Project of Sexual Violence, said that most people do not grasp the magnitude of the problem due to the absence of explicit legal accusation and punishment. “Clear legislation is important,” said Kong, “the punishment is just a way to compensate the victim. The law should also advocate respect for one another’s will on sexual contact.”  Kong believed that upskirting is a form of intrusive sexual violence that neglects other parties’ will. He has called for more education on the issue because heavy penalties, he said, will not prevent similar behaviour in the …

Society

Edward Leung Tin-kei released after six years in prison

Edward Leung Tin-kei, a former spokesman for Hong Kong Indigenous, was freed from prison after serving four years for his role in the 2016 clashes in Mong Kok . Karmen Li and Jayde Cheung documented Leung’s route to “freedom” and recapped his story before jail.

Politics

Lowest ever turnout under revamped LegCo Election system

The first Legislative Council election under the revamped electoral system ended last night with a 30.2% turnout rate in the geographical constituency races, the lowest since the handover in 1997. About 1, 350, 680 people cast their ballots in 10 geographical constituencies, a 28% percent decrease from the last Legco election in 2016. The turnout in the Election Committee constituency was 98.5% and 32.2% for the functional constituencies, according to official statistics. Click here to see the voting rates of different districts (made by Grace Koo). “Their votes are not only for choosing their own LegCo members. They are also a show of support for the improved electoral system and their aspirations for effective enhancement of the governance efficiency of the HKSAR as well as the resulting economic development and livelihood improvements,” Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor said in a press release yesterday.  Beijing reformed Hong Kong’s electoral system in March, by creating an Election Committee constituency of 40 seats to be voted on by a body established in September. The electorate is made up of 1500 Election Committee members. The total number of seats in Legco also increased to 90 from 70. “The election committee is composed of elites from all walks of life,” said Allan Zeman, chairman of Lan Kwai Fong Group, and a member of the Election Committee. “I think the new system can really work.” Mr Zeman though failed to secure a seat in the Election Committee constituency. A total of 153 candidates competed for this term of LegCo. For the first time since the handover, there is more than one candidate running for every seat, including the functional constituency seats. Twenty members were directly elected in the geographical constituencies. Voting was changed to a double seat, single-vote system, which means each voter can vote …

Society

Secretary for Education denounces "lying flat" trend, emphasizes values education

Secretary for Education, Kevin Yeung Yun-hung, denounced the “lying flat” trend, the attitude of doing nothing popular among young people in the mainland, and highlighted the importance of values education in Hong Kong schools in an online post yesterday The “lying flat” movement started in April when a post on the Chinese popular website Baidu titled “Lying Flat Is Justice” went viral. It  refers to young people who strive for nothing more than what is essential for survival.  “The recent trend of "lying flat" is even more worrying. A negative life attitude can easily cause depression and hinder social development in the long run,” Yueng wrote in his post. “I am grieved for that, just the same feeling as many parents and teachers who love those kids.” Yeung also said the government will soon release the curriculum framework for the recently proposed values education, which includes moral and ethical education, civic education, and national education.   The education bureau said promoting activities related to Chinese history will allow students to learn about the essence of Chinese culture, absorb traditional wisdom, and cultivate moral sentiment.  “We must work together to promote values ​​education rooted in Chinese culture together and support students to build positive thinking,” the online article said.                                       “I think the new curriculum has a political agenda and I hope the teachers could be professional enough to tackle this,” said Lau, a local high school teacher who said he is responsible for executing the values education curriculum at his school. He requested anonymity over concerns about his work.  In June, Yeung told the Legislative Council that the bureau will send teachers to mainland universities to enhance their understanding of the nation's development. Teachers will also attend training courses related to national affairs, the Basic Law and the National Security Law.  The …

Society

Carrie Lam emphasises the central government does not “owe” Hong Kong citizens universal election

Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor said the central government does not “owe” citizens universal suffrage stated in the Basic Law in an enrichment talk to Citizenship and Social Development teachers today.  The subject “Citizenship and Social Development” was established last year to replace the core subject “Liberal Studies”, which has been accused of leading to social unrest in 2019. The new subject requires teachers to use “reliable and authoritative sources” to teach. For example, government documents and official quotes. She said some democrats have misled the public to believe that the central government did not approve a universal election which is promised in the Basic Law. Lam said the central government did approve the Hong Kong government to political reform three times. She suggests that the increasing number of members in the election committee of the Chief Executive shows the central government is striving for democracy. Lam said the proposal of “831 decision” allowed the public to have a universal election. The “831 decision” allowed universal suffrage with a “nomination committee”, which is similar to the current election committee, to nominate the candidates for the Chief Executive election before public voting. “It was a very brave move by the central government but sadly it was banned by the opposition in the Legislative Council,” said Lam. She said the governor before the handover was also not elected by the public, and the central government wants to keep the system the same as before the handover which citizens are used to. “The idea that the central government owes citizens a universal election is wrong,” said Lam. “The British government did not give any say to Hong Kong citizens for choosing who is the governor.” Shum Pui-yee, a Secondary 4 student studying Citizenship and Social Development, said the above idea was already …

Society

Government looks into tactics to handle “fake news”, says Chief Secretary John Lee

Chief secretary, John Lee revealed today that the government is looking at how other countries tackle the spread of disinformation. Speaking on RTHK, Mr. Lee said a legal study is underway on how to deal with the problem and he has not ruled out the possibility of new legislation. The move comes after the government introduced new laws earlier to clamp down doxxing and hate speech. “The fake news legislation can stop destructive rumors from spreading in Hong Kong. Freedom must be exercised under law, which allows people to enjoy more freedom,” Mr. Lee said. Another proposal to manage fake news is to require publishers to self-regulate. Where information is not verified or fact-checked, publishers would be required to make a statement, Mr. Lee said.  He added that he preferred to act on content management first to seek a balance between controlling misinformation and freedom of the press.  Tang Tak-shing, chairman of Politihk Social Strategic, a local political organisation, believes it is necessary to introduce a fake news law because of the rise of online news media and unchecked reporting.  “We prefer legislation since it is difficult to ask online media with low credibility to be self-regulated. The bill can make the boundaries clear toward news media,” said Mr Tang.  A survey released  by the Foreign Correspondent Club earlier this month found that 75.8% of the 99 respondents including correspondents and journalist members were very concerned about the possible introduction of a “fake news” law in Hong Kong. The chairman of the Hong Kong Journalist Association (HKJA), Ronson Chan Long-sing, said that the government often claims that news media smear police officers, but “they can clarify this immediately instead of waiting for rumors to spread and blame the media”. “It is hard to self-regulate as proposed by John Lee,”  said …