Politics
John Lee Ka-chiu confirmed to be the new leader in Hong Kong
- 2022-05-08
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: Jayde CheungEdited by: Nick Yang
- 2022-05-08
John Lee Ka-chiu, 64, the sole candidate, secured his seat as the sixth chief executive in Hong Kong today with only eight votes against him. Lee won 1,416 votes out of 1,428, including four blank votes, gaining trust from over 99% from the election committee, a record high of support. Thirty-three members did not vote. “With loyalty and perseverance, I shall undertake this historic mission and shoulder this responsibility to unite and lead the 7.4 million Hong Kong people to start a new chapter together,” Lee said at the press conference after being elected. This is the first chief executive election since Beijing’s election reform ensuring governance by “patriots only”. It is also the first uncontested chief executive election in Hong Kong since its handover. “I extend my sincere congratulations to Mr John Lee on his successful election and later today,” said Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor, the current chief executive, in a statement today. “We will render all the support needed for the assumption of office by the new term of government.” Lee will take over as chief executive on July 1. The chief executive is chosen by the election committee, a body that has been expanded from 1,200 to 1,500 members after the electoral system reform and includes representatives from different sectors. “The election committee members are very responsive and completed their responsibility,” said Tam Yiu-chung, member of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress, also the Lee’s campaign manager. “This is an important event in Hong Kong. The sixth chief executive will be elected under the new election system. We wish Hong Kong to begin a new chapter and a good development.” Lee, a former police officer, handled the anti-extradition bill protests in 2019 as Secretary for Security. Lee’s latest ratings plunged to a new low of 34.8 between March 7 …
Desperate for drugs during the lockdown in China
- 2022-05-03
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: Kate ZhangEdited by: Tracy Leung
- 2022-05-03
Liu Tian, 27, in Changchun, Jilin province, suffers from a major depressive disorder. She has been off her medication for ten days since the city went into lockdown due to COVID-19 in March. Her medicine is only available at three pharmacies in the city far away from her home, and she cannot get it delivered. She tried to contact epidemic prevention staff in the community and the hospital for help. The community staff issued her an emergency medication certificate, but she could not go to the hospital because of local traffic control. As a result, she had headaches, was irritated and emotionally unstable. She tried calling the hospital’s emergency number but was told that they were only responsible for emergency care and not prescriptions. “I don't want to keep looking for medicine anymore because I'm afraid of being rejected again,” Liu said. “When I was at my worst, I even thought about committing suicide.” Beijing has been sticking to the "dynamic zero tolerance" strategy for Covid. That means even a few positive cases would trigger a lockdown followed by large-scale testing. During the lockdown, no one can travel and delivery services are limited. Chronically ill patients like Liu Tian face difficulties purchasing medications. They turn to local community staff, volunteers, and netizens for help. Cheng Yulong, 51, has diabetes. “My blood sugar level kept rising, and I was really desperate. I cannot solely rely on the blood sugar-lowering medications because they are not as effective as insulin,” he said. When the lockdown started in Changchun in early March, he had to stay at the construction site where he had been working for almost 30 days, but he only carried a limited amount of insulin. The insulin Cheng needed was sold out in the nearby pharmacies. He sought help from community …
Second phase of vaccine pass kicks in today
- 2022-04-30
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: Tiffany MaEdited by: Tracy Leung
- 2022-04-30
Second phase of the vaccine pass starts today. Visitors aged 18 or above should have received at least two doses of Covid-19 vaccinations to enter specific premises such as restaurants and supermarkets. The new arrangement has tightened the vaccination requirement compared to the first phase, people receiving only the first dose are no longer allowed to visit the listed premises. Special groups such as children aged under 12 and holders of medical exemption certificates are exempted. Tammy Lam, 21, said that most of the visitors tend to neglect the “LeaveHomeSafe” QR code before entering shopping malls, according to his observation. “As there are no regular checks on whether people have scanned the ‘LeaveHomeSafe’ QR code, I doubt the effectiveness of the vaccine pass,” Lam said. Cherry Chan, 60, was infected with Covid-19 on March 7, but did not receive any vaccination beforehand. She failed to report her positive result on government websites. “I cannot download the Recovery Record QR Code as there is no recovery record in the Department of Health’s system,” Chan said. The QR code serves as a vaccine pass for Covid patients for the following 180 days after recovery. Though Chan is recommended to take the first dose earliest on the 30th day after recovery, according to the guideline offered by the Department of Health, she will not receive the vaccination, and opt for takeaway instead. “Operators of catering businesses are required to use the ‘QR Code Verification Scanner’ mobile app developed by the Government to scan the QR code of a customer's vaccination record or Medical Exemption Certificate or recovery record to ensure compliance with the active checking requirements,” said the government spokesman on April 28. A maximum fine of HK$50,000 and imprisonment for six months will be charged for violating the rules, according to …
No increase in HK’s female legislators in 23 years: are women part of a reformed Legco?
- 2022-03-30
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: Tiffany MaEdited by: Kelly Pang
- 2022-03-30
In last year’s Legislative Council election, Cindy Chan Yuk-sim, 55, an estate surveyor and civil servant, cast a vote for the Architectural, Surveying, Planning and Landscape functional constituency, one of 29 representing various industries of Hong Kong. Both candidates running for the single seat were men. “I wish there were more female candidates who can participate in the architectural constituency so that more female voices can be heard in the Legislative Council,” Chan said. Though, in recent years, more women have taken up significant political roles, such as Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor and DAB Chairperson Starry Lee Wai-king, Hong Kong politics are heavily skewed in favor of men. At the top levels of government, less than a fifth are women. And there has been little to no increase in this number for the last 23 years. Of the current 90 legislators, only 17 are women, about 19%. The percentage is the same for the Executive Council, the cabinet to the Chief Executive. Of the 32 current members, only six are women. “As most of the members in the Legislative Council and Executive Council are male, women opinions are relatively neglected, weakening their power in fighting for women rights in the council,” Joseph Chan, 62, a former professor from the Department of Politics and Public Administration of the University of Hong Kong, said. Entrenched gender stereotypes run deep in Hong Kong. Voters tend to favor men for political positions involving financial policy while women are preferred for social welfare and education, according to a survey by the Gender Research Centre at Chinese University's Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies. Joseph Chan said gender stereotypes may also cause male legislators to be judged on their accomplishments while women are judged on their appearance along with their achievements. “Women should be …
Surviving smart prison
- 2022-03-27
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: Karmen LiEdited by: Tracy Leung
- 2022-03-27
Immigration detainees concern groups complain of intrusive use of technology. What is a smart prison Hong Kong’s first smart prison, Tai Tam Gap Correctional Institution (TTGCI) began operation in Sept 2021. Among the 160 inmates, 67 were immigration detainees. According to the Development of Smart Prison document presented to the Legislative Council by the Correctional Services Department in 2019. TTGCI operates a Passage Surveillance System. All prisoners have to wear a smart wristband. Officers can track the prisoners and are alerted if anyone strays from a designated route. Inmates have to wear a tracker that looks like a black digital watch without a screen. It monitors heart rate, physical conditions and medical needs. It also alerts offers of any suicide or self-harm attempt. Why are the immigration detainees there? Anna Tsui is a member of the CIC Detainees’ Rights Concern Group, an organisation that tries to improve immigration detainees’ living conditions and fight against unlawful detention inside the Castle Peak Bay Immigration Centre (CIC). “At least three of the immigration detainees inside TTGCI told me that the officers didn’t explain the functions and the purposes of wearing the black wristbands in advance. They asked the officers if they could remove the wristbands and the answer was ‘no’.” In an email response to The Young Reporter, the Correctional Services Department said that “upon admission to TTGCI, information leaflets explaining the function of the smart wristband are provided to detainees. Detainees may ask on-duty staff if they have doubts.” As of Dec. 2021, there were about 14,000 people who were refused entry into Hong Kong. These so-called non-refoulement claimants include illegal migrants or people who had overstayed their visas. Among them, 11,000 have had their claims rejected but 9,000 of them have applied for judicial reviews and of those, 300 were detained …
St.Patrick’s Day celebrations return to Kingston, Ontario
- 2022-03-19
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: Kiki LoEdited by: Jenny Lam
- 2022-03-19
Hundreds of students wearing green celebrating St. Patrick’s Day in Kingston, Ontario where Covid-19 restrictions have been lifted. The green clothes, green beer and clovers are back on the streets of Kingston, Ontario for the first time in two years. St Patrick’s Day festivities stopped in 2020 at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic. But celebrations honouring one of the patron saints of Ireland are in full swing again. Students hold parties in their front yards and rooftops, many of them singing with drinks in their hands. All this is possible because from March 14, social gathering in Ontario has been increased to 50 people indoors, with no limit outdoor. Capacity limits for bars and restaurants have also been removed. But the University District Safety Initiative is in effect, which means individuals could be fined up to CAD$2,000 or even face university disciplinary action for creating, hosting or participating in a "nuisance party" under the Student Conduct Code. A Nuisance party includes undesirable behaviors such as excessive and disturbing noise, obstructing vehicular or pedestrian traffic, and illegally serving or selling alcoholic beverages and controlled substances. Last year, Covid restrictions meant parties were limited to five people. Businesses serving alcoholic beverages had to close at 11 p.m. Singing, dancing and live music were also banned. But now in 2022, students say they are happy to celebrate St.Patrick’s day with fewer restrictions. Cathy Chan, a student in Kingston got ready a few days ago by buying a green T-shirt and accessories. "My friends and I are really excited about this. We haven't had a big party in a long time," she said. Another student, Anna Morel, said she was going to a night club for the evening. "The club just reopened this month, and we can't wait to enjoy our time there," …
Government distributes COVID-19 rapid test kits
- 2022-02-28
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: Tiffany MaEdited by: Gigi Chong
- 2022-02-28
Starting from today, the Home Affairs Department will distribute COVID-19 rapid test kits to people who live or work in districts where the sewage has tested positive for the coronavirus. Residents, cleansing workers and property management employees working in Kwai Tong, Sha Tin, Sham Shui Po, Eastern District, Kwai Chung and Wong Tai Sin can get the test kits in the relevant designated estates. The government encourages people in those areas who are at risk of infection to get tested, in order to achieve the government’s goal of "early identification, early isolation and early treatment". Wong Ka-lok, 58, a resident who lives in Sau Mau Ping Estate received the test kits after waiting for only five minutes. “I am happy with the arrangement because there is enough staff to help us,” Wong said. Lee Yu-mei, a 66-year-old cleaning worker who works in Chai Wan, Siu Sai Wan Estate. His company demands employees to undergo regular COVID-19 testing. “I hate doing the COVID-19 rapid tests because it makes me feel so anxious waiting for the test result,” Lee said. “I understand that being a cleaning worker is a high-risk job and I may be easily exposed to the virus. That’s why I will do the test.” People who test positive with the rapid test kits can dial the government's 24-hour hotline for "persons tested positive with rapid antigen tests in areas with positive sewage testing results" for assistance, the government stated in a press release today. Also, officials advise infected people with severe symptoms, such as prolonged fever of 38 degree Celsius or shortness of breath, to dial 999 for an ambulance so that they can go to hospital.
BRISBANE -- Southeast Queensland flood causes six deaths, traps over 1,400 homes in Brisbane
- 2022-02-28
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: Jayde CheungEdited by: Tracy Leung
- 2022-02-28
Residents from southeast Queensland are trapped by the flood as the city has been engulfed in heavy rainfall since last Friday. The flood is estimated to last until Monday. Six deaths were recorded in Queensland since the flood caused by intense rainfall, one person is missing, reported by local press. The occasional showers on Friday have evolved to rainstorms, precipitation today has peaked to 228.4 mm in Brisbane, totaling up to 518 mm, according to the Daily Weather Observation by the Bureau of Meteorology. The bureau also predicted the rain in south-east Queensland will temporarily stop this Tuesday, but a new wave of rain and storm will begin within two days after the peace. The Brisbane River hit a major flood level of 3.5 metres and will further rise to four metres at 8 a.m. next morning, estimated by the Bureau of Meteorology, Queensland. This would be the second highest flood level since 2011 of 4.46 metres. In view of the flood warnings for surging water level of Brisbane River, the Brisbane City Council activated two northside evacuations centres in the south-east of the city. People from other cities in Queensland including low-lying areas of Ipswich, Grantham and Gympie are evacuated. Public transportation service is hampered in Brisbane, according to the Brisbane City Council. The flood also declined the electricity supply of several regions, according to the outage finder, an interactive online tool that shows the power supply in different regions. Wu Cheuk-hei, a university student, has experienced an outage since afternoon. Her apartment has run out of electricity since this morning. The outage posed challenges to Wu’s living, as she relies on electricity for hot water. “I am wondering if I should take a cold bath if we still do not have electricity tomorrow,” she said. The government of …
Implementation of vaccine pass is in use
- 2022-02-25
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: Phoebe Law、Lokman YuenEdited by: Jenny Lam、Jayde Cheung
- 2022-02-25
From Thursday, visitors to a variety of public spaces must produce a vaccine pass this include shopping malls, wet markets and restaurants. Hong Kongers hold different views towards the new implementation.
Vaccine pass kicks in at public venues
- 2022-02-25
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: Kate ZhangEdited by: Nola Yip
- 2022-02-25
From today, visitors to government revenues and 23 categories of premises, including restaurants, malls, supermarkets, and wet markets must scan the Leave Home Safe app. The policy applies to everyone aged 12 years and above. The app sounds an alarm if the phone does not show proof of vaccination. Staff at these premises are then required to inform the visitors or ask for proof of exemption. Chan Chui-san, 58, thought it was cumbersome to use the vaccine pass. "The restaurant needs to scan my QR code again after I have scanned the "Leave Home Safe" app, but the scanning equipment in some restaurants are not sensitive, and they wasted my time," Chan said. The scheme will be phased in so that people have ample time to receive a second or third dose of the vaccine. But from 30 April, people aged 18 or above must show at least two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine on their vaccination passes. Premises are divided into two categories for implementation of the scheme, namely “active checking” and “passive checking” premises. At “passive checking” premises, such as shopping malls and department stores, patrons do not need to show their vaccine passes upon entry, but law enforcement officers will conduct spot checks. There are exceptions, for example, people who visit restaurants just to pick up takeaways or retrieve items, or are being tested or vaccinated, and receiving essential government services. People who cannot take the Covid-19 vaccine because of health reasons may be exempted for 3 to 6 months but they need to present a certificate issued by a doctor. Jessie Wong is not vaccinated because she believed her allergies make her unsuitable, but her doctor would not give her an exemption certificate. "I can only plan for getting injections now," she said. The president of …
